About Auburn Institute
Auburn is Rich in History
As early as 1839 Auburn pioneers grazed sheep and cattle in this area. when established in 1849 the township was named Tateham’s Waterhole after the first settler William ‘Billy’ Tateham, who reputedly lived in a dugout on the side of the Wakefield River. In 1856 the settlement was renamed after the Irish town of Auburn with the Institute being built ten years later in 1866.
Historically the Centre of the Community
From the first days in 1866 the Auburn Institute has been the centre of the community with Live Theater to Community Meetings, Deb Balls and Community Celebrations